Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Where are the Turkeys?

I really do not have a problem with Halloween. For one thing, it's one of ours. It's a Christian day... Hallowed evening... the evening before All Saints Day. And while the neopagans try to claim it was one of theirs, it was one of ours first... Halloween's history is Christian. And I'm all for taking the day BACK.

I also don't mind "fun" scariness for the kids... I don't mind costumes and dress ups... I love when they pick a Saint's costume and go about telling the story of their saint when someone asks "And what are you supposed to be?" But if my son wants to be an M&M or a Pirate or Scary Skeleton that's okay too.

What bugs me is the marketing. Each year, this innocent children's fun day, this historically Christian Feast Evening, when we think of those in heaven with Christ... gets weirder and darker. And worse...

It crowds out the Turkeys.

I can find a glut of Halloween decorations. And I have nothing against Bats. I love bats. Give me a stickie bat window cling and I'll put it up. Anytime of the year.

But what about Thanksgiving?

THANKSGIVING- a day when we give THANKS TO GOD. Used to be able to find all the Pilgrim and Indian decorations. Horns of plenty (a sign of Life, and abundance, and the Goodness of our creative God). Indian Corn. And TURKEYS.

Turkey candles, Turkey table cloths, Big tacky turkey centerpieces.

Where are they? What happened to remembering Thanksgiving?

We rush right from focus on death and greed, to a focus on BUY! BUY! BUY! as the secular version of Christmas takes over.

This week we're making Turkeys out of hand tracings and construction paper. We're talking about the Pilgrims, and the Indians, and why Thanks was given in a BIG FEAST.
And of course, we'll talk about how Mass is Thanksgiving with a Big Feast, too.
God is abundant.

Does anyone know where I can get a Turkey Centerpiece?

No comments: