Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Homeschooling: Things I've learned part 2

Balance.

That's a biggie when homeschooling. And in life in general, I'd guess!

I began homeschooling by trying to reproduce school at home. I drove myself nuts, and the kids didn't "progress" as far as "we were supposed to" (that is, we got only halfway through the assigned year).

I lived in a state that required homeschool evaluations each year, and our evaluator- a public school teacher who homeschooled his own children- said while there was nothing wrong with the canned curriculum, there were other ways do to this. He encouraged me to venture away from the Lesson Plan Book.

Moderation not being my strong suit, I did.

I went to a curriculum fair... a huge one... and my brain exploded. I think I probably have multiple personalities anyway, and putting someone like me in a room full of ALL THESE KEWL THINGS just caused me to shatter from about three personalities to 132.

It was fun, though!

But we swung too far in the "cool stuff" direction... I lost the idea of Keep It Simple. Actually, I didn't have that my first year, either, with the BIG LESSON PLAN BOOK with Way Too Much in it.

I followed up with a move to the very simple side... virtual unschooling. Also very good, and it was productive for my one child... BUT... after all these years and quite a few 'mistakes' which my children all successfully survived...

I have found that Balance, Simplicity, and a Joy in God's Creation is what "works".

more specifics in the next post... assuming this personality is still in control... :)

No comments: