Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Homeschooling - things I've learned, part 1

I have no idea how many "parts" this will have. I just know that after years of homeschooling, and some kids "done" and in college, and some still at home... I'm starting to get the hang of this.

I've gone from canned curriculum to no curriculum to workbooks to unschooling. Sort of the "Sybil" method of homeschooling (and if you get that reference, you're old, like me).

What have I learned? I've learned there are aspects to all those "styles" that are good. I've learned that a total focus on any one is not the best thing (though if I had to err, it would be in the 'unschooling' direction).

Last weekend, my little guy (the last remaining little guy I have! The others are teens or adults now) was looking in a lake. He hung over the edge, hanging onto a branch, looking at the life in the water. He speculated. He thought. He learned.

He didn't know he was "doing school." But he was. And he'll remember that longer than he'll remember chapter 10 of a wordy science book.

more later...

No comments: