Sunday, December 2, 2007

Traditional Latin Mass

I'm a Novus Ordo girl. The Tridentine Mass was before (most of) my time. And I was fortunate to grow up in a diocese free of Clown Masses (mostly) and excessive Post V-2 Wackiness. I love reverent Novus Ordo Mass.

I stumbled into a Traditional Latin Mass today, offered at my parish according to Benedict's 7-7-07 Motu Proprio.

I still love the Novus Ordo, celebrated with reverence. But... but... I have to say... as much as I didn't really understand much of what was going on in the Traditional Latin Mass.. other than the obvious (the Sacrifice of Calvary made present)... there was "something" about the Mass. There was a sense of awe and worship. Despite the length of the Mass, even the little kids were fairly quiet and well behaved. They could "tell" too. Something BIG was happening here.

It was indeed "awe-some"

1 comment:

Therese said...

Keep trying, Mindi. The fact that the prayers and readings are in Latin becomes almost incidental to its effect on those who pray the Traditional Latin Mass. (I'm not saying there aren't important reasons for the use of the old Latin formulas--I'm addressing something else here.) Priests who offer this Mass are discovering an entirely new experience at the altar. (For more information about this phenomenon, see Fr. Z's blog, www.wdtprs.com) Likewise, the focus this Mass places on worship as opposed to dialogue is having its effect upon the Catholic in the pew. Same rite, different experience--I'd be interested to know what you think after attending a few Masses.