Monday, December 17, 2007

The Pink Candle and Christmas Gifts

'Tis the season to be busy, busy, busy! I haven't posted much as I've been running around getting ready for Christmas.

The advent wreath is on the table. I love that custom. I like simple spiritual devotions: they keep the focus where it needs to be, but do not overwhelm. I'm easily overwhelmed and need to keep things very simple to stay on track.

And it's PINK WEEK! I normally am not a pink person (excuse me: It's ROSE as any priest who has to wear Pink on Gaudete Sunday will tell you!:-D). But there is something exciting about lighting that pink candle, and realizing you are more than half way to the Coming of Christ!

Thoughts on that... He's here already, of course. But despite really and truly being here, He's "hidden". He whispers in our hearts, and with our spiritual bad hearing we often misunderstand (which is one reason we have the Church). He is Truly Present in the Eucharist, yet hidden from us.

It's very like Mary, pregnant with Jesus. He was already here. But at Christmas he could be fully seen and experienced. And even though He's really here NOW, when He comes again it will be like that first Christmas... we will SEE Him, unhidden.

Rejoice!

One other note: I received in the mail a nice "Christmas Present." Maureen Wittmann's new book: For the Love of Literature. Looks to be a great reference and help to home schoolers, and reminds me, in a *simple* way, of why I began homeschooling. I need the refreshment! I'll post more on this book later. Meanwhile, get thee over to Amazon and take a look!

-edit- Amazon apparently does not have this book up yet. So get thee here instead:

www.eccehomopress.com
www.maureenwittmann.blogspot.com
www.maureenwittmann.com

2 comments:

Maureen said...

What a lovely post -- thank you.

On the literature book -- it's not up yet at amazon.com. If someone wants it now, it is available at the publisher's website and my sites.
www.eccehomopress.com
www.maureenwittmann.blogspot.com
www.maureenwittmann.com

Mindi said...

Thanks, I'll edit.