Thursday, November 22, 2007

Gratitude

Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving, everyone.

For us Catholics, it's always Thanksgiving, isn't it? The Mass is a Sacrifice of Praise and Thanksgiving to God.

We have much to be grateful for. In a darker time in my past, I hated hearing that, for I always turned it to "and so much to be ungrateful for". We ought to be grateful we have enough to eat? What about those who do not? I always looked at the dark side.

I'm learning now that Gratitude is vital to the life of our souls. I'm not sure why, anymore than I'm sure why I have abundance this Thanksgiving, and others do not. I just know God knows what He's doing, and He calls me to take part in His Plan.

And that we all, despite the darker times, have things to be Grateful for.

I refuse to be blinded to those things by the darkness that once clouded my sight. Time to live in Reality.

I'll close with a little story:

A woman was on the beach, watching her grandson play at the shoreline. He had little yellow shorts, a blue bucket, a toy shovel, and a little white hat. He giggled as the waves tickled him. She watched him, smiling, when suddenly a HUGE wave game up and pulled him out to sea. She was frantic... she couldn't see him anywhere. She prayed:
"Lord, return my grandson to me and I'll never be ungrateful for anything again!"

Just then another huge wave came up, depositing the little guy, unhurt, back on the sand. He was laughing due to the excitement of the ride in the waves. She ran down and picked him up, hugging him tight. Then she looked at him more closely. He stood there, dripping, in his little yellow swim trunks, with his toy shovel grasped tightly in his fist, and his little bucket at his feet.

The woman looked back up to heaven and snapped "He had a HAT, you, know!"

No comments: