Sunday, November 18, 2007

Homeschooling- Things I've Learned (part 4)

In previous posts I told my history and philosophy of homeschooling, more or less. A little bit of formal basics, and lots of free time (to dig pits and such).

It always helped me when folks mentioned the actual STUFF they used in homeschooling, so I'll mention a few things I like here.

My youngest is on about the second grade level (though we don't really do "levels" or "grades" here). Over the years, I've wandered about the Phonics Product World, never really finding a reading/phonics program that I was happy with.

Early on, I was at a huge curriculum fair in Pennsylvania (CHAP in Harrisburg), and I met the woman who designed Sing, Spell, Read and Write. I also heard speaker Debra Bell laud this program. I also saw the dang thing cost nearly $200. And I'm cheap. I had spent $400 on a full service curriculum the year before, but heck, I got a lot of books and "subjects" for that price! $200 just for Phonics and Reading? Bah.

Well, sometimes cheap is expensive, if you follow me.

With my youngest I got Sing, Spell, Read and Write. It's clearly the BEST program for Language Arts in the early years. Because of the songs, games, and books, even a squirmy child can get into this one. And they LEARN it.

By the time I got to this last child, I knew how to adapt a lesson plan... they give you a very clear structured daily plan with this program. However since I'm usually unclear and unstructured, I adapted it to the "chaos model" of homeschooling, and it still worked fine.

I wish I'd used this with my now college aged eldest daughter, when she was young! She struggled with reading, but I think this would have worked really well.

And I ended up spending far more than $200 over the years on programs for all of them.
For homeschoolers with kids just learning to read, I'd strongly recommend this program.
I'd also recommend keeping in mind kids learn to read at different ages, so keep it fun, let them progress at their own pace, and they'll 'get' it.

The only addition I'd add to this Language Arts program is some good books read ALOUD to the child, separate from reading "classes". Reading aloud to my kids did wonders as far as getting them interested in reading (if you are not a read aloud person, books on tape are good too).

Eventually the phonics lessons, and love of books they learn from the read-alouds, will click together (PLEASE don't read aloud and then give them tests and worksheets! Nothing worse to kill a love of books... just ... read. For fun).

... to be continued....

No comments: