Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Evils of Convenience

.
Bagged Salad.
It's very convenient. I'm not a cook, so if I can defrost it, microwave it, unwrap it and pour it in a bowl, it's dinner. Sometimes I'll boil water, too.

I realize this violates the Homeschool Denim Skirt Freezer Full Of Homemade Dinner Mom Stereotype, but I cannot cook.

I never realized the dire effect this would have on my children's MINDS, though.

I was in the store with my 12 year old. I asked her to get me a HEAD OF LETTUCE. She looked at me and said "that's the green round thing?"

That's when I realized that for years, we just bought salad-in-a-bag to serve all our lettuce needs. The poor kid was unsure what a head of lettuce was.

On the brighter side, she knows what a "record" is (as in flat vinyl thing).

2 comments:

Saint Maker said...

haha... I love to cook, but I love convenience too! Life can be so hectic, kwim?
I will give you a wonderful tip, on Sunday cook a hunk of meat, either a chicken, a ham, or a roast, and make several easy meals out of it. For example, this week I roasted a chicken, I will make a chicken, rice, broccoli casserole, soooooo easy, then I will also make a chicken pot pie, also easy, either with bisquick or a frozen pie crust. Any, funny post.
Peace,
Judy

Mindi said...

My children BEG me not to cook. The slow cooker roasts are edible if you pour half a cylander of salt on them.

I've lit my kitchen on fire several times.

Fortunately, my husband is a great cook.