Sunday, August 26, 2007

Not quite an empty nest

I recall reading a number of years ago, a column by a homeschooling mother whose children were growing up, leaving 'school' and leaving home. She said she had to learn to deal with the different 'seasons' in life, and it was difficult to move into this new 'season'.

I didn't understand. I had toddlers at home as well as homeschooled elementary children. I loved my life as mom, but also looked forward to the day my husband and I could retire and take an RV across the country. That 'season' sounded wonderful.

Now I have only one left in the elementary school level, and have two who have left the nest. Those two give me hope in homeschooling, as they are wonderful, moral, and intelligent adults.

Adults. Wow. They were just babies.

It is difficult to realize the leaves are changing and we are entering a new season. I look back on those days where I wanted the time alone with the husband and the vacations in the RV, and wish for those days again, of diapers and runny noses and children climbing all over me, demanding. It was precious, and flew by way too fast.

By the time one learns that, I suppose, it's gone.

No comments: